Latest Post / Última publicación

Short: My Daughter’s Body – An Uncomfortable Dinner

👉 Leer Versión en Español

There I was, standing in front of the door of what used to be my house.

I remember perfectly the last time I was here.

I remember watching my daughter grow up within these walls, hearing her laugh, seeing her dream. As a little girl she used to play with dolls in the living room and, with all her innocence, played at being a mother. Who would have thought destiny would play such a cruel joke on us.

Almost a year had passed since I left. Almost a year without talking to her beyond short, distant messages. I hoped that in all that time she had been able to sort out her thoughts and find some peace.

Tom noticed I was hesitating and took my hand firmly, intertwining his fingers with mine. That simple gesture gave me strength. Ever since we got engaged, his support had become even more important to me.

I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

The person who opened the door was not my daughter. An attractive woman in her thirties, with brown hair and a curious look, greeted us with a kind smile.

“How can I help you?” she asked.

Before I could answer, I heard quick footsteps inside the house. My daughter appeared almost running, still adjusting her shirt. When she saw us she stopped for a second, but her expression quickly softened.

“Honey, it’s them,” she said to the woman naturally.

I was surprised by how cordial and even cheerful she looked. I hadn’t expected that reaction.

The woman looked at us with interest. My daughter cleared her throat and proceeded with the introductions:

“This is… my daughter,” she said, pointing at me. “And this is Tom, her partner.”

I felt a knot in my stomach when I heard how she introduced me. “My daughter.” The words sounded so strange and so correct at the same time. The woman smiled widely and extended her hand.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Laura. I didn’t know you were coming today, but please come in. I was just finishing preparing dinner. Will you stay to eat?”

I looked at my daughter, surprised. She only nodded slightly, as if giving me permission.

We couldn’t refuse.

Sitting at the table, Laura turned out to be a very warm and talkative woman. She told stories about how she met “her boyfriend” (my daughter) at work, how she had been patient with him during his mood swings these past few months, and how much she admired him for being such a responsible man.

Every time I heard her refer to my daughter by my name, I felt a strange pang. Tom, beside me, only watched in silence. Both of us understood what was happening, but neither of us wanted to tell the truth.

At one point, Laura got up to bring the dessert and my daughter took the opportunity to look at me directly.

“I haven’t told her anything about the change,” she said in a low, quick voice. “To her I’ve always been… this.”

I nodded in silence. I didn’t know what to say. Seeing my daughter in a serious relationship, building her own life inside my old body, generated a mixture of pride, sadness and guilt that was hard to process. In a way I understood what she must have felt at the time.

Laura returned with the dessert and sat down again, clearly interested in us.

“So… did you come just to visit or is there some special occasion?” she asked with a warm smile.

Tom and I looked at each other. Before I could answer, Laura continued talking, oblivious to the tension floating in the air.

“You’re so young and beautiful. She looks a lot like you, honey.”

“Thank you…” I answered with a forced smile.

Laura didn’t stop there. She seemed genuinely curious and kept asking questions:

“Tell me, how is your relationship with your dad? He’s told me very little about his family. He says they’ve been through complicated things, but he never goes into details. Have you always been this close?”

The question fell like a stone into a pond. I glanced sideways at my daughter. She visibly tensed and took a sip of water before answering.

“We’ve had… our ups and downs,” she answered with a neutral voice.

Laura nodded understandingly.

“That’s normal. My family is complicated too.” Then she turned to Tom: “And you, Tom? How long have you been with Ashley? You look really good together. Are you already thinking about something serious?”

Tom squeezed my hand under the table and answered calmly:

“We’ve been together almost two years. And yes… it’s already something very serious.”

Laura smiled with emotion.

“How lovely! And you, dear? What do you think about your dad having a girlfriend? Although… well, looking at you now, you seem more mature than many girls your age.”

“I… I’m fine,” I answered awkwardly. “Focused on other things.”

The dinner continued among Laura’s innocent but compromising questions. Every answer was an exercise in balance so as not to reveal the truth.

At one point she got up to bring more coffee. My daughter looked at me fixedly and murmured in a low voice:

“This was a mistake…”

I couldn’t stop thinking about how ironic everything was: I was sitting in my old house, being introduced as the daughter of my own daughter, while she lived my old life… and now had a girlfriend who knew absolutely nothing about the Great Change. In that moment I told my daughter everything — how these last months had been, how Tom had proposed to me, and how we wanted her to be at our wedding.

My daughter stayed silent after listening to me. She only looked at me with those eyes that had once been mine. Time seemed to stop. I could hear the distant sound of Laura in the kitchen, moving cups, oblivious to everything.

Finally she spoke, with a low voice but calmer than I expected:

“Almost a year… and now you’re getting married.”

I nodded slowly, not daring to interrupt her.

She lowered her gaze to her hands (my old hands) and took a deep breath.

“I’ve thought a lot these months. More than you can imagine. At first I only felt rage. Then came the emptiness… and then the fear. Fear of not knowing who I am anymore. Fear of forgetting who I used to be.”

She paused, as if it was hard for her to find the exact words.

“But I also found something. Laura. With her… for the first time in a long time, I feel like I can build something that is mine. It’s not perfect. There are days when I look in the mirror and don’t recognize myself. But she makes me feel that I’m not completely lost. And I don’t want to destroy that.”

She looked at me again.

“I don’t want to live the rest of my life with resentment. It’s consuming me. I know you didn’t choose the change… and I know I didn’t choose to stay trapped here either. But that doesn’t erase what I feel. I still don’t forgive you. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to completely.”

Her voice softened a little.

“Even so… I don’t want to keep distancing myself. If you really want me at your wedding, I’ll go. But with conditions. Even if on the outside I can pretend that everything is fine, you’ll know it’s not, and every time you look in the mirror you’ll remember whose life you’re living. And Laura can never know the truth. Never. To her I am your father, and that’s how it has to stay.”

I stayed quiet for a few seconds, feeling a lump in my throat. It wasn’t the forgiveness I had secretly hoped for… but neither was it the total rejection I feared.

“I understand,” I answered in a low voice. “I accept your conditions. Thank you for… even considering it.”

Before I could say anything else, we heard Laura’s footsteps approaching again. But I couldn’t react when I felt my old body’s arms completely surround me. I don’t remember the last time I felt this warmth in a hug. A memory surfaced in my head. It was my daughter when she was little — she had fallen off her bicycle and was crying. At that time I was new to being a father and the only thing I did was give her a hug and say the words that she was now saying to me.

“Don’t worry, princess. Daddy’s here.”

Laura entered smiling with the coffee pot in her hands, completely oblivious to what had just happened. I understood that what she was doing was pure performance to look good in front of her partner, but in her words I felt a genuine warmth, and that was what moved me.

After that moment Tom and I left. The feeling was a little strange and we hadn’t expected it to end that way. I turned toward the door where they were saying goodbye and said loudly:

“Thank you for everything, Dad.”

It was strange to call my own daughter that. But for the first time in a long time, I felt that maybe… just maybe… something could start to heal.

Comments